Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Life's highway


I have a lump in my throat that doesn't want to go away.
It's residency will choke me up with a warning that salty tears will be falling down my cheeks.
Sometimes I can hold it all back and there is no evidence of the fear, pride, happiness, and monumental moments that I experience when I realize that my oldest baby boy is on his way to freedoms from my apron strings.
And other times.....
I allow the tears to fall where they may.



Last night we brought home Riv's first vehicle.
He is only 15, but will be getting his permit [if he passes] on Friday.
This Jeep is exactly what Randy had in mind for his son.
It was affordable, [to which River helped pay for] and is a great mechanics learning piece for a young man to gain knowledge.
He has a year to practice driving with an adult before he acquires his real driver's license.
I will savor this last year of riding by his side, knowing that soon enough, he will be on 
his own road to life's highway.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Noooo, it's going by so fast. So proud of you and Randy for having the wisdom to let River practice driving now.
His ride is cool cool. Can't wait to take a spin in that make out mobile.


E

paula said...

So weird and unbelievable that he's old enough to have his own set of wheels. I've seen this kid go thru the spectrum of wheels and all the stages that they represent...toy firetruck wheels, toy train wheels, Lego wheels, green machine wheels, skateboard wheels.....and now-REAL WHEELS! All these kids we love are growing up so quickly.

Jay D says a Jeep is the perfect vehicle to get if Randy wants to teach him mechanics...he'll be working on it a lot! This coming from a guy who's had a Jeep or two (or three) in his life....LOL. Congratulations Riv!

Chelise said...

I can't believe we are already at this stage....
I would be lying if I didn't say that I about fellout of my chair when I got your text. It so surreal, seeing this young man standing next to his pimped out ride.

Remember to say no to drive in movies, K??